From my three months of learning the Info Sec Realm, with a information security team. I have summarised my work to 5 points.
1. Fundamentals form basis to any formative learning
2. We must always keep up-to-date with our knowledge of the world, and if possible keep a blog
3. Passion supersedes small talk in the field. There must be fire in your eyes. People will notice your self worth in due time.
4. Certifications comes after experience. Experience is god. Home or at work, it is still called experience.
5. Finally, learn to communicate with every level in your organization and learn to adapt. Adaptation is important, and confidence is infectious.
Just some 2 cents worth. AND i am TRULY honored to be a part of the team!